Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Neighborhood Watch!! GLC Sits Down with The Neighborhood Kid!!


What's the deal GoodLife fam?!  Yall know what it is over this way, we continue to bring you everything in our area that represents, well the GoodLife of course!!  This interview is no different!

We recently had the opportunity to sit down with David Cooper, AKA The Neighborhood Kid.  What stands out about this cat, besides his versatility on the mic, is the fact that he REALLY reps the city of Grand Rapids!  When he says The Neighborhood Kid he REALLY means it.  Look no further than the love he gets on stage, whether rocking the stage at BattleMania or the 36th Street Lounge, you can't deny he is the people's choice.  He certainly picked up a new fan with his new joint called, "Bacon and Eggs".  If you haven't heard it make sure you make that a priority!! All in All The Neighborhood Kid is a cat you can't help but like, musically and personally.  Come join us!

GLC: What is your definition of the GoodLife?

TNK: The GoodLife is prosperity, good health, good vision, a little bit of gwap in your pocket, you know cuz money does make the world go around.  Just waking up positive every single day, and just feeling good about everything in general.

GLC: So where does your music fall into the meaning of the GoodLife?

TNK: My music is for everybody.  I go by the name The Neighborhood Kid, and I'm not the only one.  You're a neighborhood kid, she(waitress walking past) is a neighborhood kid, they(people on the sidewalk) are all neighborhood kids.  I make songs for everyone.  I'm here to bring you back, help you remember your childhood and teenage years.  I also make music about all the adult situations that we can all relate to as well.

GLC: What neighborhood did you come from?

TNK: I was born and raised on the west side of Grand Rapids.  I moved around the city a little bit, the NE side, the SE side for a minute, but the west side of Grand Rapids, AKA Gun Ru, is home!  Been on the west side all through school.  All of my fam is one the west, my studio is on the west right off Broadway(S/O Sugar Shane and Broadway St.!).  But yeah it's the West side all day, Gun Ru, Grand Rapids, MI, it's all love!

GLC: We can tell you have love for your city, how does that resonate in your music?

TNK: Right now Grand Rapids is formulating a big local hip hop scene.  You see a lot more hip hop nights, more live performances popping up at several bars and nightclubs in the area.  A lot of hip hop love is being shown in the city right now.  As far as my music goes, I gotta say Gun Ru, I gotta say Grand Rapids, I gotta show love to my city.  That's just what it is!! I dont know any different. 



GLC: You have approximately $25 in your pocket, you have to get something to eat, drink and something to listen to.  What is it gonna be?

TNK: I gotta go with an Arizona Iced tea, either Wing Heaven or El Sombero's for something to eat.  El Sombero's is a spot on the west side where the burritos are banging!  If I had to pick up any album it would have to be Biggie Smalls, Ready to Die. 

GLC: Why the Ready to Die album?

TNK: Man that album just brings me back!  The memories.  Living life to that album, doin dirt to that album, getting down to that album, poppin off, getting drunk, getting high to that album! Just brings me back to that frame of time growing up, that mindstate.  Great memories!

GLC: So what are some of your favorite childhood memories growing up in Grand Rapids??

TNK: My memories kinda attach themselves to the seasons.  One of my favorite summer memories is just being in the front yard slap boxing with my dad.  Him just teaching me how to hold my own and be a man. I really miss that.  Fall time was about getting geared up!! Hoodies and Tims start to come out.  Great time for music too, a lot of classic third quarter releases!  In the winter is was bumper hitchin' with all the other neighborhood kids.  In the Spring I remember everybody getting that spring fever and just being excited to get out and breathe fresh air.

GLC: Name some local artists the really deal with, or keep an eye on in the city?

TNK: Big S/O to Sugar Shane, my producer who has been there from day one!  DJ Hunnid Grand AKA Jelani Akil Brown who is also one of my producers and has been doing his thing for a minute and has Eastown locked up.  S/O to A.N.T Anthony Lazar who has a serious movement going on with TTMG and the BattleMania series.  Big ups to AB and Coconut Brown, Martel Noir, Rod B Gutta, Michigan Militia, The Red Planet Boys who are up and coming, Ill Kontent and E Dub, who both have been killing the game for a minute.  Oh and Wille the Kid and La the Darkman really set a nice foundation for hip hop in the city.  It's great to see them comeback and show love to the city they came from.

GLC: Give us 5 words that describe you as an artist.

TNK: 1) Casually-Urban  2)Poverty-Stricken  3)Swagtastic(I try not to brag and boast much but Hip Hop makes you feel good!) 4) Real  5) Fortunate

GLC: So say you blow up, what will keep the Neighborhood Kid grounded??  What will keep you from being like the rest of these cats that can only rap about their newfound fame and money?

TNK: Hopefully sticking to my roots here in the city basically.  It's hard to imagine your life instantly filled with multi-millions of dollars.  That's kind of a question I'd have to ask myself again once I make it there. To be honest I think I would truly miss the day to day struggle, and that would help keep me focused also.  Keeping my mother and grandmother close, people I have seen work hard and stuggle every day of my life, would  keep me modest. I don't ever see myself  going Hollywood, or living outside of my means to impress anyone or prove a point.  A $100,000 house is perfectly fine with me. 

GLC: What about your brand of hip hop do you feel is unique and something everyone should hear??

TNK: I feel like I bring every type of feel to my audience.  A little bit of struggle, a little swag, a little something to make you reminince, everything basically.  There are some hardcore tracks, party tracks, reality tracks, a few sad "itchy eyed" tracks, something for every emotion is included.  It's real!!  Every flavor!  I'm trying to keep it like a suicide kool-aid, feel me??!! 


That's what's up fam!!  Be Sure to Friend Request on FB under David Cooper!!
Oh and if y'all don't know what a suicide kool-aid is, check out your nearest Wing Heaven!! 

                                                                             


1 comment:

  1. thats raw much love for man neighborhood kid and good life campaign ~Scot Shippy~ (ReD Planet)

    ReplyDelete