Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Meet Singer/ Entrepreneur Christian Nelson


  


Whats up GoodLifer's! We want you to meet a young brotha who is not only doing his thing on the music side but who is killing em in the business world also. I guess you can say Christian Nelson is giving you the best of both worlds. Enough waisting time, lets meet Mr. Nelson.                                                                         

GLC: Christian tell us a little bit about where you're from and what got you started singing?

Christian: Basically I'm from Grand Rapids, MI, that's where I claim. That's where I grew up and that's where I remember most, but I was born in Alabama. Lived in Lansing for a short time when my dad was going to school at Michigan State University. My mother and father they're from Nigeria, but I'm American born so I really got a chance to live the quote on quote American way of life. So pretty much I grew up listening to everything my mom listened to a lot, my mother and father split when I was about nine, but she used to listen to a lot of Toni Braxton, Baby Face, Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, so that's really what I came up on. I just grew up picking the pieces from that. I really studied Michael Jackson a lot and I can say he was one of my biggest inspirations. But basically I was singing in the house, had a little karaoke machine, then I took it to high school choir and the plays, and eventually that lead to singing national anthems at different events in my my city, and that really spread to more city opportunities more nation wide opportunities, and from there it's just been about me branding myself.

GLC: How is the music scene in Atlanta, and what made you make that move from Michigan to Atlanta?

Christian: The music scene in Atlanta has been poppin for a long time, you know way before I got here, but what ended up happening was I felt like I hit a brick wall where I was grinding at in Michigan, and I kind of felt like I did enough there, and I had to take it to another level. My sister was actually out in Atlanta grinding with her music, business and modeling thing, and she just recommended that I come out, so I ended up moving out here June 2009, and its just been two years of just grinding, linking up with some of the Aphiliates ( Big shout out to Willie the Kid, La the Darkman) just really kind of linking up with people that were already in positioned out here in Atlanta, and that's how I began to do it, not only in music but also just well rounding myself in the business aspect of things as well.

GLC: Tell us who you look up to in the industry?

Christian: Really right now to me the game is kind of polluted. I mean that's just my point of view, but I get into artist like Ryan Leslie, Babyface, Tank, Musiq Soulchild, Floetry, it goes all over. I think that when you do this music thing you have to appreciate every genre of it, so that's always been the approach that I've taken. Gospel all the way on up to rock, but as far as looking up to people, I've always tried to be a trendsetter, so everything that I do I try to make it my own. I listen to old school too, you know the Marvin Gaye's, Earth Wind and Fire, Teddy P. You just got to pick and choose from generation, but make sure you go back. Make sure that you're doing your research. A real broad approach is always been what I've taken.
                                                                                
GLC: We hear you are quite the entrepreneur. Tell us a little bit about that and what you have going on?

Christian: With the whole business its just been crazy because it was always a part of me, but I just never really applied it until I got out to Atlanta full force. Like I said I'm really into trendsetting, so me and my brother partnered up and started our own shoe line. Basically right now we have a tennis athletic basketball shoe but, we've also got a couture classic that's fitted for the more high end high priced fashion. But as far as business it was just understanding that I have product to bring to the table, and getting the attention of people that want to consume, and that was pretty much it. As far as like the stipulations of it you definitely want to make sure you do your research and make sure you got your paper work together.You know there is so many links that you want to make sure you cover. It definitely feels better to be on my own schedule most of the time. Were taking it to the next level. Entrepreneurs in the game!

GLC: If you could compare yourself to somebody in the game right now, who would it be?

Christian: If I could compare myself to anybody right now it would have to be Carl Thomas, as far as his style poetry. He just gives you a poetic feel. But I would also say John Legend, maybe a little Musiq Soulchild, just more modern, more belly, you know a little bit more grunge.  Which is just kind of a representation of what I grew up and saw, and experienced.

GLC: If you had 25 dollars and you had to get something to eat, drink and something to listen to what would they be?

Christian: Eat, I would probably go with a nice Nigerian dish. To drink, probably just some vitamin water, and to listen to I would have to go get the years best music at some CD store just so I can have a variety.
                                                                                  
GLC: How do you about the current state of r&b?


Christian: I feel its at a dying state. I think everything is always evolving. I think that it just has to be resurrected in a way. I knew there was going to be a struggle with this music thing, and for me taking a stand in the way that I do it, but I've accepted the challenge, and if its me independently putting my music out there, and my fans just going to it so be it. Like I said we still got big things going on though, I'm doing some gigs over seas September 30th I'm opening up for Wiz Kid, which is a big Nigerian artist. As long as you exhaust all your option in this music thing, you know don't just bank on the big label deal that's just going to sign you cause your so so hot, just grind and hustle and it'll happen.

GLC: Are you signed with anybody right now?

Christian: To be totally honest I do have distribution with UGF Entertainment but I don't know if we're going to continue the contract after this year, but I'm independently doing it. You can definitely check me on my website christiannelsonmusic.com we got some new things coming for the year 2012. All my fans have been riding with me this whole time threw the ups and the downs and the ins and the outs, we're still going to make things happen and I'm going to continue to represent for the people who held me down since day one.

GLC: Where can we go to check you out?

Christian: Check out pulsewearusa.com which is real real heavy, one of my sponsors. Also check out Young Syrus, he's a young boss in the game, managed by Ra Ra , Shout out to Ra Ra entertainment. Just shot a video called Mayweather. Be on the look out for it. Check out the Lansing Community College Newsletter. I was in there for making the voice cuts for the Voice, which is a show on NBC. Google me, and Facebook me also.

There you have it GoodLifers. A successful young entrepreneur who loves where he's from. Christian is what we here at GoodLifeCampaign call a role model for our youth. Make sure you support this phenomenally talented singer/entrepreneur by checking out his website and not only listening but purchasing his musical talent. Look out for those kicks he got also. Until next time y'all keep it 100.

                                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment