Wednesday, August 3, 2011

INTRODUCING BOODA BLAOU FROM THE CHI

..
What up Good Lifers! As you heard we are going to be bringing you a lot of underground talent throughout the Midwest. We just recently got a chance to sit down and chop it up with a phenomenal hip hop artist named Booda Blaou from Chicago. We call Booda HIP HOP. Check out what he had to say when glc sat down with him.

GLC: So Mr. Booda Blaou! Where does the name come from?

Booda Blaou: Well i had got the name first because i use to smoke a lot, and i still do. So cats start calling me Booda. Then the more i started getting into cultural knowledge reading things concerning spirituality, I learned more about Buddhism. Not necessarily Buddhism specifically but just spirituality in general  and the meaning of that name.

GLC:What first got you interested in making your own hip hop, and who were your influences?

Booda: Well back at the time in like 95 we was listening to a lot of Wu Tang.  Wu Tang had the game as far as me and my fam was concerned. Just listening to the Wu Tang records, my boy came up with the idea to start rapping, and writing rhymes, and we started doing it. You know we was able to use our imagination and it was a cool and creative way to express what was on our mind, and we just kinda grew with it.
GLC: Tell us about the emphasis Chicago has had on your music?

Booda: Well the reality of my music, Chicago is the reality of my music because I'm rooted in Chicago. The images it gave me of struggles, triumphs and the streets. Chicago is more in my expression of life than my music

GLC: How do you separate yourself from other artist?

Booda: You know the music that I do is just different. You know I have my own style. Its unique. I can't really locate or find one specific thing that I do different than other artist or what makes its sound different from other artist, I can't tell you. I know that it does, and I'm satisfied with that.

GLC: What are your thoughts on the current state of hip hop?

Booda: I think its more underground than its ever been. I see a lot of heads not knowing about new projects (commercial projects) than I did when I was younger. Its more focused on exposure. And the business is more focused on commercial. I like where its at for the fact that its giving a lot of underground artist exposure threw the people. You got traditional hip hop and mainstream hip hop. this is as general as i can break down my opinion or my outlook on hip hop. On the mainstream side if you got that promotion and if you got those catchy type of sounds and songs that people are responding to nowadays that's whats going to put you on top. You don't necessarily have to be talented you know in my frame of reference nowadays its more about the presentation. But on a traditional tip, its about the talent and also the promotion you know and the grind, and the quality of your music is carrying you more on a traditional tip than on a mainstream tip. Mainstream is more about appearance and presentation.

GLC: Lets say you got $25 and you need to get something to drink, eat, and something to listen to. What would it be?

Booda: Wow (lol). Eat, drink and listen to. Well I'd grab me some neck bones. I'd grab me some peach tea from the local book store, And to listen to I would grab some dope ass old school soul, you know 60's, 70's type of shit. I listen to that stuff more than hip hop. honestly.

GLC: Some old school soul like what?

Booda: Like some Lost Generation. 

GLC: If you could work with any artist who would it be?

Booda: Locally I would work with my man Dr. Who from the blunt crew. And mainstream it would be Mad Lib

GLC: Whats your definition of traditional hip hop?

Booda: Traditional hip hop to me is based on lyrical skill with imagination, charisma, style with some substance to it. Something that people can relate to, you know whether its positive or negative. Hip hop is about life and what people go threw. Hip hop is not about selling people dream or tunnel vision into a material world. Hip hop is a very influential type of music. Traditional hip hop is more use of the music than what you see in mainstream. Traditional hip hop is Dizzy Gillespie and mainstream is Kenny G.

GLC: What are your favorite 5 albums of all time?

Booda: Biggie Ready to Die, Busta Rhymes The Coming, Nas Illmatic, Pete Rock Soul Survivor, Tupac 7 day Theory

GLC: What is your ultimate goal at the end of your hip hop career?

Booda: Just to be able to continuously express myself threw music, and have it as another stream of income.

GLC: Where can the people go to listen to your music.

Booda: Reverbnation, Soundcloud, in September you can catch me on itunes with my project called Diamond Neckbones.

GLC: Any advice for the up and coming?

Booda: Be original, and give the people something that they can eat on. Whether its positive or negative give them something they can eat on and give them some type of nourishment, and i would say always try to keep as much as an independent control over your career as you possibly can.

 Links For Booda Blaou:
www.reverbnation.com/#!boodablaou
http://soundcloud.comsearch?q%5Bfulltext%5D=Booda+Blaou
search Booda Blaou on www.youtube.com also

No comments:

Post a Comment